Sardines are a good source of iron and this particular recipe adds vitamin C foods as well, great complementary foods for iron absorption.
This sardine salad brings together a surprising mix of ingredients. The blending of all these flavors creates a whole new dish. No one flavor dominates this recipe which is complex and satisfying. The flavor is such that you might be able to convince someone who has sworn off sardines to taste them again for the very first time.
Serve this dish with some crusty sourdough and plenty of butter.
(Read our in-depth sardine profile for more about this great fish.)
Sardine Salad Ingredients
- 2 small sardine tins in tomato sauce (or one larger one)
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup of large black olives, halved
- 2 tablespoons fennel greens, minced
- 3 cups arugula leaves, torn
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups wide rice noodle, cooked and hot (alternative: cooked fettuccine)
- 1 cup toasted pine nuts
- 4 sprigs of fennel greens
- Dash of Parmesan cheese (optional)
Sardine Salad Steps
- Break up the sardines in a large mixing bowl, making sure to include the juices and oil from the can for full flavor.
- Toss in the onion, olives, garlic, tomatoes, fennel greens. Handle the mixture lightly, but you want as even a mixing as possible.
- Adjust for salt and pepper.
- Pile the arugula leaves on top of the sardine mixture. Drizzle with oil and lemon juice. Toss lightly.
- To serve, divide the noodles among four plates and top with the sardine salad.
- Garnish the plates with the pine nuts and fennel sprigs. Add more olive oil if the salad looks dry. A dash of Parmesan cheese would also go well with this dish.
The flavors are much better if this dish is hot or room temperature. If you have leftovers, you may want to allow it to come to room temperature before enjoying it.
This post was shared on Sunday Night Soup Night, Make Your Own Monday, Made With Love Monday, Monday Mania, Making Monday Marvelous, The More the Merrier Monday, Motivate Me Monday, Mingle Monday, Hunk of Meat Monday, Mouthwatering Monday, Mangia Monday, Made By You Monday, Fat Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, Tasty Tuesday, Tuesday Confessional, Domestically Divine Tuesday, Nifty Thrifty Tuesday, Tutorial Tuesday, Traditional Tuesdays, Take a Look Tuesday, Tuesday Talent Show, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Hearth and Soul Blog Hop, Time Warp Wife, Family Time Tuesday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Mama Diane, Tuesday Time Out, Living Green Link Up, Frugal Tuesday Tip, Show Me What Ya Got, Beauty and BedlamThankful Tuesday, Terrific Under Ten Tuesday, Penny Pinching Party, Wow Me Wednesday, Your Whims Wednesday, What’s Cooking Wednesday, Gluten Free Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Women Living Well, Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways, Works for Me Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Wild Crafting Wednesday, DIY Craft Projects, Healthy 2Day Wednesday, Whatever Goes Wednesday, Allergy Free Wednesday, Raising Homemakers, ,Full Plate Thursday, Momnivores Delimma, Frugal Follies, DIY Thrifty Thursday, Delightfully Inspiring Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Show Off Your Stuff, It’s A Keeper Thursday, Swanky Stuff Thursday, What I Whipped Up Wednesday, Cooking Thursday, Making It With Allie, Catch a Glimpse Party.